Turbocharge Your Teaching with Free Technology Learn NC session by Bill Ferris and Ross White
MY NOTES IN ALL CAPS
-Showed Poll Everywhere and discussed uses within classroom…texting and via computer
KNEW THESE GUYS WOULD HAVE THEIR HANDOUT ONLINE…LOTS MORE FOLKS THAN THEY EXPECTED.
–Poll Everywhere allows 30 responses for free, paid accounts provide additional statistics
SECOND SESSION TO DISCUSS THIS TODAY. SADLY I DON’T THINK ENOUGH OF OUR KIDS HAVE CELL PHONES TO USE THIS SERVICE IN OUR SCHOOL. SOON THOUGH…
-Online Discussion forums through Forumer.com…can be set up for students under age 13 without requesting too much information due to COPPA
-Now discussing pbWiki…how does it relate to project based learning
- Create a product within the wiki to show what they have learned
- Mineral analysis on planets in solar system
- Which planet do we want to mine based on values given by teacher
- Showing how to add writers to the wiki account
- Discussing using comments to moderate the wiki
- Discussed the need for citations within a wiki
-Using KickYouTube to download YouTube videos
GREAT RESOURCE…SHARED IT EARLIER TODAY WITH ANOTHER PERSON…
-FlickrCC to frame discussion around Creative Commons and Copyright.
- Alternative licensing
- Make Derivative works, or not
- For profit or not, share alike
-One photograph can be a great jumping off point for discussion…especially if licensed for use by others.
–CamStudio.org – Screen capture, audio recording, annotation from FREE software…alternative to HyperStudio.
-From @alvintrusty Use CompFight to browse Flickr CC…best out there at the moment
-Using VoiceThread for KWL chart
Short discussion of other Screencasting software.
GOOD OVERVIEW FOR A FAIRLY LOW TECH CROWD. THANKS to @edumacate on Twitter.
CHECK www.instructify.com/ncmsa FOR UPDATED PRESENTATION LINKS OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS.
Filed under: Middle School |